Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Day With Grandma Alice

Ya gotta love New Yorkers! I got to spend the day with my Grandma Alice (my mom's mom) on Thursday. We had so much fun; she is one hip 87 year old. She is staying with mom and dad for a couple of months to get away from the snow and ice. Brooke had her class chapel on Thursday, so they got up extra early in Fort Mill to drive all the way to Hickory Grove Christian School and be there by 8 am! WOW! Then we came back to my house so mom could go to work. When we got here, I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so I was eating and gave Grandma something really high maintenance and fancy like toast :) and she said, "I didn't come here so you could wait on me!" Then she asked for tea, oops, I don't have tea and I've never had tea, I don't know how to make it either. So I gave her a glass of orange juice. After struggling over the newspaper Jumble puzzle and getting nowhere, we decided to go to Macy's and shop. She wanted a short sleeve blouse with a Peter Pan collar and buttons like some girl on her soap opera wore last week, well I couldn't find one. The store had mostly winter clothes. I suggested the Junior League, and she looked kind of concerned at the thought of wearing used clothing! Oh yeah, I forgot, New Yorkers! Then we went out to the grocery store where she insisted on buying my kids ice cream and other sweet treats. I knew I'd be in trouble later when they had their sugar rush! Next to Jason's Deli for lunch, and all she wanted was a hot dog, at least it came with chili on the side. Then we picked up the boys and played at home with them for awhile, Legos and cars I think. She is so good with kids! When I left to pick up Brooke, she insisted that she would stay back with the boys and I could go by myself. I said "that's too much work for you". She retorted, "you're crazy!" So I made some excuse to take Brennan with me and left her with the other two. When I returned about 40 minutes later, they were all fine. Then we had our treats, (I had TWO Hostess cupcakes) and we left a little while later to take her to Mom's office. All in all, a very fun day. Here's what I love about New Yorkers, or more specifically, the New Yorkers in my family:

1. They say what's on their mind, they don't overanalyze.
2. Can do attitude, Just do it!
3. Great story tellers, Grandma had me laughing all day with the stories about my cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. She keeps me connected and in touch with what's going on with everybody.

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of her to post here, so I'll get one when we head down there to play bocci in a couple of weeks. Thanks everyone up North for lending Grandma to us for a couple of months!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Alice sounds like someone I'd like to know! We should have a Girls' Night the next time she comes to town. :)